Friday, July 16, 2010

Dear Quinoa...

...I like you...a lot. You make such a great lunch! You provide me with energy to make it through the afternoon with your protein, not to mention your fiber that helps me stay full. I know my husband doesn't care for you, nor anything with a texture similar to couscous, but that's ok. I don't have any problem finishing you off.

-kelley


Lemony-Herb Quinoa
serves 4-6, depending on how you're using it

1 1/2 cups quinoa
2 3/4 cups chicken stock
1/4 cup plus 3 tbsp. lemon juice
1 1/2 - 2 tbsp. olive oil
2/3 cup fresh basil, chopped
2 tbsp. fresh thyme, chopped (3/4 tbsp. dried, which is what I unfortunately had to do this time)
zest of one lemon
salt and pepper

Bring stock, 1/4 lemon juice, and quinoa to a boil in a saucepan. Cover and reduce to simmer, allow to cook for about 12-15 minutes, until all the liquid is absorbed. While the quinoa cooks, mix together the oil, 3 T. juice, basil, thyme, zest, and about a quarter tsp. each of salt and pepper (can add more later if needed). When quinoa is cooked, mix into herb mix, and enjoy!

Great served warm or cold. Feel free to add some roasted veggies, fresh cherry tomatoes, or grilled chicken to make it more of a meal, or it makes a great side.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the way you talk to food.
Like I told you today...GET YOUR OWN NETWORK SHOW!!!